An Orange County, Florida, mother was held at gunpoint in her home, her toddler crying in the next room, after she opened the door thinking UPS was delivering a package.
According to WKMG-TV, 24-year-old Belgie Tapia opened the door Monday when she saw a man outside who appeared to be wearing a UPS uniform carrying a box.
“I proceeded to open the door and that’s when he put the gun to my face and told me to lay down on the ground,” Tapia told the news station. “They proceeded to put the gun to my head and threaten me. If I didn’t find them anything of value, they were going to shoot me.”
An aerial view of police surrounding the home after receiving a 911 call about a home invasion. (Image source: WESH-TV)
An aerial view of police surrounding the home after receiving a 911 call about a home invasion. (Image source: WESH-TV)
WESH-TV reported that two suspects, later identified as Kayla Oharrow and Travis Brown, tied up Tapia with zip ties and duct tape.
Fortunately, Tapia’s brother saw the suspects on the home’s security system and took action. He called 911 and then chased the suspects off with a shotgun.
“He overhead screaming in the house and he looked on the home surveillance system, just like you can buy from any company, and saw what was going on,” Orange County Sheriff’s Office Detective Jason Samstold WESH. “He had a shotgun and armed himself, which probably prevented any more harm to the rest of the family.”
Watch WESH’s report on the incident:
According to the news station, deputies saw the suspects running when they arrived at the home. The pair were apprehended after crashing their getaway car into a fence.
The suspects got away initially, but crashed into a fence. Afterward, police arrested them. (Image source: WESH-TV)
The suspects got away initially, but crashed into a fence. Afterward, police arrested them. (Image source: WESH-TV)
“I was praying the whole time,” Tapia told WKMG. “I’m thankful to God that my daughter’s safe.”